In this section:
Every business in the ACT should take into consideration the safety and security of its employees and premises. ACT Policing's Community Safety Team works closely with businesses to ensure owners and workers know how to keep themselves and their premises safe.
There are a number of things you can do to make sure your business is protected from offenders. Owners are encouraged to:
- display a sign in your store window that no cash or valuables are kept on the premises
- post warning signs around the business to warn intruders about the security features you have in place
- ensure all entries and exits are secure
- install high quality security camera systems
- install security screens
- install adequate security lighting and locks
- have easy access to a distress alarm
- consider obtaining a regular security patrol service
- install electronic beepers or other devices to indicate that people are entering and leaving your premises while you are open for business
- keep police and emergency phone numbers close by.
BizSafe is a Community Safety initiative which is proudly supported by the ACT & Region Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Crime Stoppers.
The BizSafe program aims to help you protect your workplace from robbery, theft, fraud and other criminal incidents.
Business security information in the form of BizSafe Factsheets (PDF 1,044KB) are available for:
- Bomb, Chemical and Biological Incidents (PDF 142KB)
- Armed Robbery – Prevention and Response (PDF 103KB)
- Internet fraud (PDF 149KB)
- Credit card and cheque fraud (PDF 151KB)
- Bag checking and searching (PDF 133KB)
- Counterfeit currency (PDF 115KB)
- ACT Keyholder Register (PDF 90KB)
- Citizen’s Power of Arrest (PDF 110KB)
- Preventing burglary (PDF 122KB)
- Fraud – internal and external (PDF 144KB)
- Shoplifting prevention and detection (PDF 150KB)
- Workplace security (PDF 139KB)
- Excluding someone from your business premises (PDF 136KB)
The Community Safety Team is dedicated to crime prevention reduction issues relating to the business community and can help you assess the security of your business and assist you with information about reducing crime.
For further information about the BizSafe program or any general business security related questions, please contact the Community Safety Team via the ACT Policing switchboard on Ph: (02) 6256 7777.
If it is a life threatening situation or an emergency call Triple Zero (000).
For police assistance for break-ins, robberies, violence or if you see a crime occurring call 131 444.
If you notice any suspicious activity around businesses contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or via the Crime Stoppers website.