People unfortunate enough to be involved in a collision in the ACT must by law report the incident to the police within 24 hours. A form available on the Canberra Connect website completely removes the need to attend an ACT Police Station to comply with the statutory reporting requirement, allowing the community to complete the necessary details from the comfort of their own home.
Report a collision online
Police will only attend collisions when vehicles require towing or serious injuries have occurred. Each party involved in the collision is required by law to provide their name and address to the other party.
For police attendance, please contact ACT Policing on 131 444.
If you break down on the highway or freeway
- If your car develops a problem and you cannot stop at a service station, you must pull on to the hard shoulder.
- Try to stop as close to emergency telephones as you can and remember to pull your car over as close to the verge as possible.
- Remember to put on your hazard warning lights and don't forget you will need your lights on during the hours of darkness.
- Get out of the side nearest the verge and use the emergency telephone as soon as possible giving your exact location.
- If using a mobile telephone note the number of the nearest marker or junction to give a better idea of your exact location.
- Above all - stay calm.